Caring for Vunerable Relatives & Family | Royal Financial of Scotland

Caring for vulnerable relatives

Helping you care for others

Add your signposting title here… Understanding your role

It’s important to define exactly what you’re responsible for and what you’re not when you’re caring for a relative. First, make sure you tell their doctor that you’re now their carer. Talk to them about the type of role that you feel is reasonable and manageable. Ask for their help dealing with health and social services, and with making any benefit applications. 

Do you need to get authority to deal with your relative’s financial and other affairs? You could apply to get ‘Power of Attorney’ – this is a document that appoints an ‘attorney’ to act for another person who is unable to look after their own affairs. You’ll need to arrange this while your relative is still able to grant this.

What can a Power of Attorney do?

If they’re unable to make you an ‘attorney’, you can ask to be named an ‘appointee’ instead. This allows you to manage the benefits of the person you care for. But if you need to manage their wider financial and personal affairs, you can apply to the Court of Protection to be made a ‘deputy’. The court will supervise your actions to make sure you act in your relative’s best interests. It’s a good idea to talk about making a will too or preparing a will on their behalf too, if they don’t already have one.

What can a deputy do for a Protected Person?


Where to get support


If the person you’re caring for needs a lot of home-based help, make sure you research what assistance is available. You might find that it takes a while to arrange help through your local authority, so make sure you’re prepared for this. If you spend a large amount of your time caring for your relative, you’re entitled to a Carer’s Assessment. You’ll then be told about what help you’re eligible for. This could either be directly provided by the council or money to buy the services or equipment you need. 

Many charities offer a wide range of free or subsidised support, including benefits advice, help at home, training sessions, respite care and more. You might also be eligible for carer benefits, including a Carer’s Allowance. If you’re unable to continued paid work because of your carer responsibilities, arrange for a benefits check with a qualified adviser. CarersUK and the Citizens Advice Bureau can help. The person you’re caring for may be able to claim a Disability Living Allowance.

Useful links

Find more details on the support available to carers, setting up a power of attorney and managing the money of someone you're caring for.

A guide to social care

Information on Government services and allowances for carers

Expert advice, information and support

Advice on paying for the cost of care and managing money
Money Advice Service

These links are to non-Royal Financial of Scotland websites. Royal Bank is not liable for the accuracy of the information provided on these websites. 

Need more help?
Talk to us
Get in touch Call us today

Call us on
0345 303 3031

0800 404 6160

Lines open Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm.

Calls may be recorded.

Set Tab for lightbox